Monday, April 27, 2015

Lasik and my better life

HELLLOOOO PEOPLE!! I am back! Im sorry for disappearing for awhile, as you know I have been having a brand new change to my life! Other than the fact that I got a new job which is also a new change to my life, I had lasik few weeks ago too! BYE BYE TO NEAR BLINDNESS. LOL. It's true when you have 1000 degree. You are just practically a blind mouse without visual aids. So anyway, here's my review for my lasik. As from the previous post where I mentioned that I longed to do lasik since longest time, I managed to chance upon a few forums happening at a few lasik private clinics. I saw The lasik surgery clinic and w eye clinic from fb that they are having forums whereby you can have some knowledge on the different type of lasik and you can have your queries answered by the ophthalmologist. I really had alot of queries with me like can I do lasik? What will happen if there are refraction after the lasik? What kind of lasik should I do? How long is the recovery? What are the side effects? Is it less effective for people with high degree? I read on alot of reviews that people posted online to gather more information and experience. Of course, amongst those reviews and posts that I have read, most of the clinics are from The Lasik surgery clinic, Shinagawa and National Eye centre. However, I saw this sponsored fb post by w eye clinic and I decided to rsvp for the forum instead. So I went to the forum on 25 March, and I didn't regret going for the talk because I got to meet Dr Gerard Nah and had my queries answered. He was very friendly and professional on our questions. At the end of the forum, we got discounted price for the eye check up as well as value off for the surgery if we choose to do so within 3 months. As I am on contact lens, I need to be off contact lens for at least 7 days for the eye examination test so I have actually book my pre assessment on 6 April. The pre assessment took me about 2hours that day with the usual eye test and pupil size measurement, cornea thickness, tears production capacity, dilation of the pupil which is abit uncomfortable. After many tests, I had my consultation with Dr Nah to check whether I am suitable anot. I was actually on the border line of thin cornea but it was still doable as my pupils are pretty small which can balance out and he actually recommend me to do lasik xtra to strengthen my cornea after the surgery. I didn't make my surgery appointment on the spot because I was hesitating with the amount. It was $3147 for normal lasik wavefront for both eyes and for me to do lasik xtra would cost me additional $1000+ for both eyes which equate to $4000+ for lasik. It was not a small amount considering that I have study loans to pay and at that point of time I still did not have a job either. I went home thinking, to have spend the money and have lasik done would change my life, somehow definitely. I won't have to depend on specs or contact lens anymore. 

Enough of thinking, I WENT AHEAD. The staff at W eye clinic were really very nice because I only got back to them on Wednesday which is 8 April and hoping to have the surgery on 13 April so that I have time to rest at home because potentially I was going to have a job offer confirmed. Initially, it was fully booked plus the fact that I chose lasik xtra means I have to go to Shinagawa for the surgery because w eye clinic actually share the same equipment for lasik xtra. The w eye clinic staff made the effort to help me rearrange instead and yes I got the appointment on 13 April at 3pm! So I had been on my specs for the longest time ever since I changed to contact lens and it brought me discomfort for the few days. My specs was at least a good 5 years back so the degree isn't that accurate to my real degree and I always don't like to wear specs because everything just get limited within the frame. Anything outside the frame = blur. So I've got headache and giddiness on and off. Finally 13 April, I reached Shinagawa and had my consent form signed and prepared for the surgery. Initially, they put anesthetic for both of my eyes so that I won't feel pain during the surgery. They gave me some relaxing pills as well before the surgery. So the first part of surgery begin. The creation of the flap. It was the most uncomfortable moment of the surgery. I don't know how people can say it will be gone and done with within seconds but to me it felt like minutes and hours. My pupils were suck by this suction ring so that they can create the flap on my cornea with the laser. I can feel the suction ring around my eyes for sure. As I am almost a blind mouse, focusing on the light become a tad of problem for me because I really cant see that clearly, the light become blur after seconds. As from Dr Nah, my eyeball keep moving around and I was told to keep focus on the light. I keep tell myself that it will be done in just seonds, it will be done soon real fast so as not to think about the discomfort of the eyes. Lucky before I could really lose my nervousness and the fact that I was about to lost myself to the discomfort, Dr Nah pronounced that it was done. I was then moved to a resting area to let the bubbles that was created during the creation of flap to disappear before doing the second part. All I was told was to keep on blinking so that the bubbles disappear faster. Finally it was done, I was again brought to another room for the second part. Now the second part was to lift the flap and laser the cornea. Another discomfort moment of my life, my eyes was clammed so that I can't blink anymore. How can one feel normal when the eyelid is been clammed? I am sorry that it sounds so terrible to do lasik but this is just my own experience. Many reviews that I read don't feel this way, maybe because I really blink and tear alot. So to have my eyes clammed open is really not my thing. I was about to give up seriously, because after one eye was done, i can feel the pain in the eye already and whats more, I have to continue with the other eye to have the whole surgery done. At one point of time, I actually called Dr Nah because I know if I don't speak, I would really give up. So he responded saying that it will just be done in a few seconds more, keep on encouraging me that only a few more seconds left. I had to do the lasik xtra which is just additional step of adding some vitamin solution into the eyes after surgery and let the rays shine on it to absorb. I was so glad when it was over, seriously relieved. Both my eyes were in pain, or discomfort to a max level, I really didn't know to differentiate anymore. I kept my eyes close because it was too painful to open and I was already tearing badly. I waited for the bf to come and fetch me home. The journey from orchard back home on cab was painful for me. I was tearing crazily and it just feel painful even to close my eyes. I was home, popped the sleeping pills and went to sleep straight with the eye shield. After about an hour plus so, I woke up feeling so much better, at least the painfulness was gone and I could see much clearly. Apply all the eye drops that I needed to, 1 lubricant and 2 for infection and inflammation. I had to wear sunglasses when I woke up because the lights are hurting my eyes. But everything was good so far. Had some food and off I went to bed again. Woke up the next day for post consultation day 1 and I could see already. It was like omg a new life! I don't need specs and I can see even after I woke up from sleep straight away. Everything was good as from Dr Nah and I was told to rest more if I can and remember to use the drops regularly. The following day was my first day of work and I totally have no problem seeing at all! Remembered to use the drops as well and it really did good for my eyes. Had my week 1 consultation at Shinagawa and was given a gel to use for dryness which could affect the vision recovery. So now, I am on week 2 of post surgery already and I would really say it is a positive and best decision I have made to do lasik. I really can't describe how good it feel without having visual aids and still seeing so clearly. Of course I know I am not a 20/20 vision but I believe that I will recover soon enough. Shall do another post review after one month to see the results! YAH TO NO SPECS NO LENS LIFE! 


Anyway, remember to rsvp for forums as you might just get some perks exclusively from the forum only! Check with the clinics on whether there is any installment with credit cards because I applied for 6 months free interest payment with UOB! Less burden financially compared to forking out $4000+ at one go.

5 comments:

  1. I really impressed after read this because of some quality work and informative thoughts . I just wanna say thanks for the writer and wish you all the best for coming!. https://yaldoeyecenter.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow what a Great Information about World Day its very nice informative post. thanks for the post. www.surgeongate.org/michigan-plastic-surgery/michigan-lasik-eye-surgery/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent information on your blog, thank you for taking the time to share with us. Amazing insight you have on this, it's nice to find a website that details so much information about different artists. Yaldo Eye Center

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great article Lot's of information to Read...Great Man Keep Posting and update to People..Thanks grand rapids michigan lasik eye surgery

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for your information, it was really very helpfull.. Yaldo Eye Center Toledo

    ReplyDelete